Hint: someone has a mini-fridge! Which is honestly probably the best thing I've seen being carried by motorbike...I've also seen a family of four, those huge water jugs, even blocks of ice! But I think mini-fridge has been the best so far.
What you will see:
- My school is near the downtown Ho Chi Minh City area, and very close to department stores and high-end hotels. You may be able to see some familiar names in the store windows...
- Then we go around a traffic circle where my driver, Chu Ni, points out the Ben Thanh Market. It's a very big and popular marketplace in HCMC, and at night there are more food stands for a cheap dinner on the streets. I've actually been there many times and in 2004 our hotel was right next to it, but Chi Ni wanted to point it out since I just bought postcards that have a picture of the market.
- Eventually we make our way down to Trần Hưng Đạo Str and then just head down until we reach my block, and then into the little side street for the house entrance.

(click to enlarge)
- Upper, far right: Vietnamese classes at University of Social Sciences, District 1
- Middle: Ben Thanh Market, District 1
- Bottom, far left: Home at 844/3 Tran Hung Dao Street, District 5
5 comments:
Wow!! That's a lot of scooters!!! Traffic looks nuts there....are there lots of scooter accidents?
do most people wear mask when they ride scooters? more video pleazzzzz!
JH - yes, many more scooters on the roads in the US...they are cheaper, easier to maneuver, and year-round sunniness makes it a popular choice. I haven't seen any accidents but I'm sure they happen, but not at the rate that we would expect. People are safe drivers and there are less distractions (ie no radio/cd player to mess with, not talking on the cell phone)...I will take another video during rush hour, haha it is truly a dance that they do on the roadways =D
JS - Generally I see most women and children wearing the masks, and only sometimes men. I have a heavy duty "infectious diseases" mask that Chuong gave me to start off with, but this is not washable and I have to throw away after a few days of use.
I have just bought a regular mask that is washable. It helps because with all of the scooters, there's a lot of exhaust that your face is up against. Maybe people also wear it to protect the face from the sun - Gotta protect that skin! =D
Sweet! Glad you're having a great time Anna
Post a Comment