Banh bao (steamed bun) with pork and egg = 15000D = less than $1 (using 18000D = $1)
strawberry and orange shake = 17000 = less than $1
At Nhu Lan, a popular place with the locals.
- Also, tip is not necessary.
- Chuong's coffee with milk (ca fe sua da = coffee milk ice) in the background? 10,000 D
LUNCH!
At the very popular Quan An Ngon. It's in the Lonely Planet Guidebook and also across the street from the famous site of the rooftop helicopter, last one to leave a falling Saigon...It's more of a tourist attraction than these other places that I've eaten at, but still relatively cheap and good, but there are cheaper and better places.
Bun Thit - Vermicelli Rice Noodles with Pork and egg rolls
Bottled Water
Coconut ice cream
Wet Napkin (around 1000 D at most restaurants)
= around 70,000 = less than $3
DINNER!
At Saigon Cafe, right across from the house where I live.
Strawberry shake (34000) + Pasta with beef (37000) = 71000 = $4
(more expensive than these other places because it does not have as many customers).
**
Non food stuff pricing that I found out today:
woman's hair cut = 100,000 D
manicure = 25,000 D
notebook = 20,000 D
Flight to Australia (sign didn't say city) = $154
Flight to Hanoi = $45 (both through Vietnam Airlines) - it's cheaper to buy flights in Vietnam through an agency than to book online in the US due to taxes, etc
driver on motorbike rental for one week = 300,000 D = about $17
I was a guest speaker at the Medical School's English Club and they gave me 200,000
Food and services are very very cheap. Things like electronics, name brand clothes/accessories though are going to be around the same price as in the US. Still, you can get off-brand items for cheap, though the quality varies. I got one of those huge camping backpacks for $15 when I was in Hanoi in 2005. Not for camping (clearly) but to fit all the other things I bought...and it's still good!
Moral of the story: Asia is the place to travel and get your money's worth!!
4 comments:
Wow, so you got paid $12 for guest speaking! I think you will find your worth much increased with a medical degree my friend!
Did you learn how to ride a scooter yet...we need pics girl, pics of everything...you on a motorbike, you on the street, you at home, we wanna see your home, you in the shower...er wait sorry that one was supposed to be my inner voice...
Now I want a strawberry shake!!! mmmmmmm.
the food look so yummy!
Yeah the food is delicious and I am trying to order different things so that I learn the names.
I've already forgotten the word for strawberry and egg, guess I need to order more!
and HS - just made a motorbike video so going to edit and see if it's any good!! Haha you may get car sick, the ride is a bit bumpy!!
Post a Comment