Finally on Wednesday was able to try something I've been wanting since my arrival: fresh coconut juice!
10,000 D during our banh xeo meal #2. It's very watery and plain tasting, but refreshingly cool. And very fun to scoop out some tasty coconut bits!
For dessert?? Frozen yogurt! Yes, the craze has hit HCMC and there are many froyo places in the area. Still very cheap! Sorry, no pics of the actual dessert because we all finished them before I remembered to take a picture...guess I'll just have to make another trip!
And today?? Crab! I was doing some research online about good places to eat in HCMC (probably when I was supposed to be studying physiology, oops!) and ran into this website: http://gastronomyblog.com/saigon-top-10/
Top on the list? Soft shell crab, yay my fav!!! So of course I asked to go there for lunch and ohhh my goodness, it was amazing
mmmm I'm going to eeeat you!!
Located just down the road from my school and the business district, Quan 94 looks like any other restaurant in the city: Large opening with the makeshift kitchen up front, small tables and chairs, fans running and spinning...They specialize in crab, and some of the dishes are more expensive as they are very popular, but everything is chock full of crab and it's delicious!!!
The crab-stuffed egg rolls (cha gio cua) were served with vermicelli rice noodles, herbs, and lettuce.
But my favorite? Soft-shell crabs with tamarine (cua lot xao me - 120,000 D) - soft crab with a sweet and sour sauce made from the popular tamarine fruit. We also had crab and shrimp soup, with the large white noodles and crab pieces seriously the size of my thumb!!
Just a few more pics posted on Picassa today, but the special ones I posted already.
Xin chao cac anh chi!
6 comments:
Mmmmmmmm delicious
Coconut juice ....hmmmm, i think i need to try that!
just to let you know, this blog has become a daily must for me ;)
Google couldn't translate your last sentence. Does it say: "more food pics to come?" Hehe
by & jh: hah very good =D jh, i think you may be able to find coconut juice at a market in chinatown but there may be added sugar. fresh coconut juice is really watery and light.
js: haha yay it's been fun posting these =D the translation is "Goodbye ladies and gentlemen" but because I don't have the accent markings, none of my writings are going to be translatable, teehee!
but i now have vietnamese font for the mac so am going to install it and see if it works....
Hahah, yeah, your blog has become part of my day :) Or, night as the case may be....
yay thanks jen!!! ^_^
Post a Comment