Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Vietnam Quilts



Vietnam Quilts (26/1 Le Thanh Ton, HCMC but there are stores in a few other cities) is an NGO that I have fallen in love with:

"Vietnam Quilts supports community development programs in remote villages in Cambodia and in Vietnam. Its key objective is to generate employment for women. One hundred per cent of profits from its quilt shops are returned to the villages. Vietnam Quilts focus is to provide rewarding employment, increase family incomes and improve conditions for children in these remote communities."

Beautiful hand-made, high quality (and can be custom designed!) quilts, pillows, and other home accessories. All for a good cause, but what is really striking is the quality, color, and design; it's amazing and in the past 2 weeks I have become a repeat customer!



Chu Ni carries back one of my purchases "local style" on the xe om...we did this 4 times! Yeah, don't ask how I am going to get these all back to the States, that is my next project. This is why when traveling to Vietnam, you bring an empty suitcase or prepare to buy one here, because there are just tons of amazing, beautiful things you can bring back!

I really fell in love with the "Ao Dai" pillows because the characters are just so stinking cute!!! They also have little crib quilts with these figures, as well as aprons!


Cotton pillow cases, machine washable
40 x 50 cm
$12

For myself, I bought two red ao dai pillows in the larger 50 x 50 cm size and a white cotton quilt with a flower design.

I am in LOVE with this quilt:
Crib sized baby quilt with green figures
100 x 120 cm
$40



I bought this for a family member who is expecting...and another crib quilt with the alphabet just to have and be prepared for the next addition to our friends or family network...My mom buys baby quilts as gifts and buys them at "Things Remembered" and they are a lot more expensive than $40.


Queen sized, silk and cotton quilt
$190
I purchased this for my mom and custom designed 4 pillows with the silk fabric available in the store.

Silk fabrics available at the store:

There is also cotton available, but you can also purchase your own fabrics at a market and bring it in. They have many workers and volunteers at the store that speak English and other languages that can help you design what you want. And to custom make, it's still cheap - we were charged just a few dollars for the silk fabric and $3 additional for a custom order...and it'll be done in 4 weeks! Otherwise, they can also ship by air or sea for a reasonable price...

Again, I love this store!

For more pictures of the store, products, and fabrics! Yes, I had to create a new album for this store! Haha

2 comments:

Unknown said...

the pillowcases and crib quilt are sooo cute!! i love that all the profits goes back to the village, that is awesome! =)

akv said...

all the store employees recognize me now, everything in this place is super cute. i'm already planning a return trip for when i get my own place and need a few more quilts =D