Monday, June 29, 2009

10 hours at Seoul Incheon Airport

well, t minus 10 hours!

My motto of "buy now, worry about packing later" and its results:


Apparently I have become a very bad international traveler - I planned to check in 3 bags into my Asiana flight to Chicago O'Hare (by way of Seoul Incheon) and have my backpack and the painting with frames as carry on. Technically only 2 bags are allowed to be checked in, but em Na's mother knows the director of Asiana in HCMC and we all went to the office in Diamond Plaza and I got permission from him to have a third bag, 23 kgs each piece. Sweet deal since an extra bag costs over $100. Though I will still have to pay once I am in Chicago and have to check into my United flight to Baltimore...but here's the kicker: I already checked in and went through immigration and security told me that my frames were not allowed on the plane.

WHAT?! It's not the size, because other people had longer or bigger items. Pieces of wood? Urgh, em Thao and I had just talked about it as she helped me pack and we both laughed at the notion that it would be considered a weapon. I guess, well whatever, can't argue when they say go back. Except now I would have 4 pieces of checked luggage but again Asiana waived a fee. And I just hope and pray that I can either take this onto the United flight or fit it into my luggage, because paying for 2 extra checked luggage will make me really sad.

Sheesh, maybe it's just from traveling alone, but it was too stressful of a situation and my mom had to calm me down as I talked to her while waiting for my flight to Seoul.

Haha I had sticker shock at the SGN airport, $3 for a bottle of 500 ml water, $3 for croissant, $10 for box of chocolates, $6 for sandwich - it's going to be hard to adjust when just last night I had paid...yeah okay best not to think about it now...!!

I arrived at Incheon a bit after 8 am and quickly found my way to the "Rest and Relax" area so I could pass out for a few more hours. Seoul is 2 hours ahead of HCMC so I was really tired even through I slept the whole flight.

So I paid $3 for my 500 ml of water but then here in Seoul was not able to take it through the airport after the security check-point for my transfer. Poopie, just bought it at the SGN airport! Anyways, Incheon is a super nice airport, with computers and wireless internet available, a resting lounge, and lots of light and space...and tons of shopping.

Alrighty now just about 6 hours to go!
It's 12:44 am on Monday, June 29 EST time and I will arrive 11:50 pm tonight!!

No comments: