Saturday, June 27, 2009

Last night in Vietnam!

Wow, two and a half months has really gone by fast. At this time tomorrow night I will be at the airport, checking in my huge bags and saying goodbye to Chu Dung. Now I know a bit more Vietnamese (elementary Vietnamese rockstar!) and have a really bad sandals tan, but still I wish I was able to take the next level of classes. I am a bit jealous of Keisuke, em Na, and my other classmates because of this.

It has been really great and I think what I will miss most are the people. Culture and food aside, whenever I asked other travelers what they like about Vietnam, always one answer is "the people". They are kind and generous with their time and energy. If it was the reverse situation, I don't know if I could be as generous? I feel like there are too many excuses we use: not enough time, I want to watch my tv show, it's too far, it's not what I want to do, whatever.

And maybe because we are tourists, we are sensitive to this (and also perhaps some are too kind, especially when they want money) but I do think that it is different than any other country. People here want to know, it's about community. Where are you from? What do you do here? How old are you? And always...do you have a boyfriend or husband?

And the people are everywhere: eating, sleeping, drinking coffee, resting, working. People are hired to open doors for you at the shopping centers, parking lot attendants for even the smallest restaurants and stores, security guards for hotels, banks, etc at night...it's awesome just the humanity that you see here. No waiting in line at the post office (omg it's fantastic!). And in the lobby of my hotel room in Nha Trang? 5 workers! At the shopping mall, there are 2 to 3 people per every counter. They are ready to pounce if you even think of buying something. Someone's always there, where ever you are, whenever you need anything.

It's people that drive this country.

I will also miss:
- displays of affection and friendship between two people is okay between two men or two women, any age
- seeing people hanging out at the park and watching the older people exercise and stretch
- not being addicted to what's on the news right now. No more 24 hour CNN.
- the relief we all get when it's rainy and cool; even on motorbikes it doesn't feel like a damper to the afternoon
- seriously, not having to wait in line for things is wonderful!
- abundance of fruit and delicious fruit drinks and desserts
- watching people carry crazy things via motorbike: aquarium, small fridge, 6 boxes of Heineken beer, a family of four...a dog??
- where honking is so common it's message is less "Eff you, jerkface" and more "I'm here!"
- Asian babies, because they are the cutest

I realize now that I have not worn a seat belt for over two months. And I really appreciate our dental health care and hygiene.

I am also ready and looking forward to seeing my family, for cooler weather, an actual closet and my own home. Not having to worry "will this place make me sick?". Mom's home cooking and Dad's singing and laughter. Doing my own laundry (odd, no?). Going to the library and Costco. Being able to know exactly where to shop, not bargaining, and being able to drive myself there.

Alas it is on to the next chapter: Vegas and med school!

No comments: