Moving is always interesting because I can fully see all of the stuff I've been saving, storing, buying too much of. Canned foods, instant coffee, shoes, cardboard boxes, pens...and lots of dust. I'm mostly moved out of the studio but have to go back on Saturday to get the rest of my things and clean the apartment.
With my life in boxes in DC, I don't know whether to unpack or just keep it in boxes since I'll be moving again in July. I can't take everything to Nevada so I should unpack it...but then my parents already have a ton of things so where am I to put my stuff?
When I entered the house last night, I was reminded that it was no longer "my house" but really "my parents' house". A new rug, new painting, and no more Buddy - these minor changes are foreign to me but have been that way for my parents for weeks now. My dad also told me not to spread out my stuff too much because they were expecting four guests at the end of the month. It's a weird feeling to be a house guest in a home that is yours, but not really.
I've moved quite a few times and lived in many cities - Columbus, Chicago, DC, Philadelphia, and now Henderson. So when people ask me "How do you like living in Philadelphia", I have a lot to compare it to and honestly I did not really appreciate Philly until just this year when I began to really take advantage of the city life and living so close to everything.
I loved that I could cross the street and be at one of many things: Chinese buns and bakery (and bubbletea!), Chinatown market or Reading Terminal market (between those two I had almost everything I could ever eat), Wawa (for milk products), great dining around every corner, Chinatown bus terminal, Greyhound terminal, Subway stop...the list is endless. And Philly is a truly walkable city - in a couple minutes you could walk to Old City, Rittenhouse, South Street, or the Art Museum and Boat row - depending on what direction you headed. City living allowed me to have a smaller carbon footprint and me more conscious about my consumption.
Yes there are downsides. It can be a dangerous city and you're constantly exposed to the "ugly side" of urban living. Philly could do more with it's greenery and water ways - Chicago is awesome because of its beautification projects, beaches, and parks. Philly is older, has older roadways and an older infrastructure...driving in Philadelphia really is not fun as the roads are small, rarely have lane lines, and pedestrians are a bit too obnoxious.
Case in point: After getting very yummy cheese steaks from Jim's on South Street I made my way north on a one-way street to my apartment and almost hit a woman as she stepped off the curb to go around a slow-poke group of people in front of her. She didn't hear my screams or cursing because she had headphones in. I swear I grazed her with my front bumper or mirror but she was not really paying attention and that is essentially how crazy Philadelphia is...
Philly has great food. I'll miss it as well as our Quizzo nights. I'll miss being in a walkable city. But I will really miss my friends and the memories that we made out in the town and at NCB.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment