Friday, May 8, 2009

my new favorites:



nước mía (sugarcane juice) and thanh long (dragonfruit)

The sugarcane juice is not overly sweet, like I expected it to be, and very nice. Has more flavor than coconut juice and I like watching the machine squish the juice out of the long sugarcane. At the restaurant, one glass of sugar cane juice = 7000 D



The inside of the dragonfruit is white with many tiny black seeds - very cartoony looking considering the outside is red with many green extension leaves. The inside does not look at all like one would expect from the outside, but it has a very subtle taste. Like melon, very watery, and the seeds you barely notice...

yumyumyum, like I posted before, the fruit here is amazing and plentiful! I bought this dragonfruit for ~12,000 D which the housekeeper thought was expensive.

**
Things that I do not like: durian (the large spikey fruit that is in the fruit stand picture of Ben Thanh market)



sầu riêng (durian) ice cream - I don't know how familiar people are with durian, but it is the weirdest, smelliest (!!! NO JOKE !!!) fruit i've ever seen. My parents love it and Vietnamese people eat a lot of it, you just get used to the smell I guess. So you know it smells bad when you have to "get used to the smell" in order to eat it....haha

so Chu Dung told me first to try ice cream because maybe the smell is not as strong. Yea right, I almost gagged while eating it, and could only take a few bites. Never again, but gotta try (almost) everything once!


Funny because on this year's UChicago Scav hunt list:

"227. This is America, god dammit! Celebrate your freedom by bringing a ripe durian on the subway. [4 points]"

Omg that is DISGUSTING!!!! Haha and hilarious, I wish I could be there for that one...

more pictures on Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahaha durian does smell super super bad, omg! My mom used to hate it too when she was young but she started liking it as she got older. Who knows...maybe you'll be like that too one day but I know I won't!

MTF

akv said...

BLECH! This evening on the route back from the med school, all along the road were durian venders...so the whole road smelled like durian and it was naaaaasty!!! Haha