My mom was really happy that I could say it in Vietnamese, haha! Also I had written a few sentences with a friend and was able to read it off to her. Yay, making lots of progress!!
Today the English club at the Medical School met, and I had been in talks with Em Tuyen to lead a discussion on Medical Ethics. I gave the case of Dax Cowart, one of the more interesting and easy to understand cases that we reviewed in Med & Soc. (Ahhh Dr. Soslau would be so proud...)
I wanted the group to be able to discuss more interesting, or medical related things. Last meeting (the first Sunday I was there), they had one-on-one discussion on the topics of "Where do you vacation?" and "What do you like to study" - pretty basic conversations. Em Tuyen said that they don't discuss medical ethics in the classroom so it would be something new for all of them. I was a bit worried about offending people, or if my ideas or leading questions would be against the general culture/law/religion of the students...and I also didn't want to introduce this case, pose these questions, and have 30 blank stares back - would people be too shy to respond? Would they all have the same idea and then the discussion ends?
But all went well: they understood my introduction and questions, and after the small group discussions, people were very eager to share their opinions, personal thoughts, and stories. There was a few mentions of "familial" thought, "Confucius" and "Buddha", but not everyone was on the same "side" of the issue and it was a good, lively discussion. (Puts our M&S large group to shame, honestly!)
Afterwards, a student made a presentation on the architecture of the Reunification Palace, and how it corresponds with some Chinese calligraphy symbols, ideas that the designers wanted to impress onto the new South Vietnamese government. It was fascinating and I began to talk with a few students nearby about touring the Palace. I think there will be a big group of us to visit it next weekend...I am really looking forward to this, as I had been planning on going on my own since my other friends have no interest in seeing it, but now with a group of people it will be more fun.
Em Tuyen also presented to me a Vietnamese "pop" cd of Quang Dung, a famous singer and husband of Jennifer Pham - Miss Asia USA 2006, that includes lyrics so that I can learn and sing along! I am listening to it now, and really appreciate the gesture...
After the meeting, 3 students took me to the medical school's dormitory so that I could see a room and then go to dinner. The dorms were a series of 5 buildings, open area for sports, and 2 cafe areas. The security was really tight, they really do not let non-students into the area, and there is a huge waiting area that "outsiders" can sit and wait for their student friends.
The students study in the hallways of the dorm. The rooms are small (and only 100,000 VND a month = less than $6) and thus only for sleeping and use of the bathroom. It is not allowed to have hot pot or cooking supplies in the room, so all students use the cafe or eat out.
From L to R:
Em Hoang, Em Doan, me (you can tell the sweaty American), Em Duy (yellow shirt) and the rest of the guys are his roommates. 6 boys to the room, basically just three bunk beds with three small tables and a bathroom. They don't have many possessions but they study a lot and have examinations on the weekends (!!). And even though they are all in the 3rd year, they are younger than me because in Vietnam you attend medical school right after high school. So the timing is different, and I am an old fart.
So the four of us - Hoang, Doan, Duy, and myself - went to dinner nearby and it was really nice to talk with them about their studies, where they are from, and life in the US. Everyone is eager to speak English with a native speaker, but they are also all so generous and kind - I am glad to have met them.
No comments:
Post a Comment