Friday, December 26, 2008

The Holidays

I don't know what it is but lately most of my conversations with friends have revolved around relationships, youth/aging, and the ultimate fear of dying alone. Which is probably a fear shared with all of humanity, so why now - the holidays?? Being reminded of everything that we have, what we see around us, and what we ultimately yearn for? I do not watch many commercials at my apt in Philadelphia but since being home I have been inundated with ads reminding me that "There are only two things that stand the test of time - Love and Diamonds".

So blame it on the holiday ads? Or maybe it is the beginning of the new year and reflecting on a year past, one year older....and wondering how different are we really from our 2007-selves??

Something that I wrote to a dear friend regarding relationships - is it really true that a love lost is better than a love never found?

"You have to LIVE LIFE to its fullest and part of that, to me, means trusting in yourself and in LOVE. you can't be afraid to fall in love or fall head over heels because then it won't happen. and so many songs, poems, stories have been written about love so clearly it is a human experience, to lose and to gain. because like many things in life, you cannot protect yourself from everything and that includes matters of the heart. but still you drive cars and fly in planes and cross the street, and so you must venture into these relationships and be a bit fearful, a bit aware, a bit honest, a bit curious and it's ALL WORTH IT. I KNOW IT WILL BE."

Soon I will turn 25. The quarter-life crisis will hit and hopefully I will remember that as many friends in my past gets engaged and has babies, my future is free to be determined by me.

And so I look forward to 2009!

No comments: